Early-stage product startup financial model
A complete financial model for a product startup with four distribution channels
"Coolest Product Ever" sells its product via four distribution channels: Online, Events, Sales Reps, and Wholesale.
- There are four marketing strategies for the online distribution channel: digital marketing, social media marketing, influencers, and podcasts.
- The wholesale channel uses a salesforce to secure distributors.
The company uses a third-party fulfillment system and has limited warehouse operations.This model contains the following:
1. Monthly revenue projections for each distribution channel.
A. Online distribution.
C. Sales reps
2. Monthly variable and dynamically determined operating costs.
3. Yearly salaries and overhead costs.
4. Monthly working capital and fixed asset projections.
5. Annual income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement.
6. Valuation and funding needs.
7. Break-even analysis and financial summary.
8. Customer acquisition costs for each revenue stream.
Victoria Yampolsky, CFA, is a serial entrepreneur and an experienced business & finance executive with extensive startup experience. She is the President and Founder of The Startup Station, an education and consulting company specializing in modeling and valuing early-stage ventures.
The Startup Station helps startups articulate their business case to investors from the financial point of view. We create a detailed strategic roadmap, a robust financial plan and a resulting valuation that outline business logic, drivers, financial goals, and key metrics for their company. The Startup Station has worked with over 100 startups across 15+ industries ranging from manufacturing to technology, consumer electronics, medical devices to fashion, media & entertainment, and has helped founders raise over $30M in startup capital.
Victoria has also developed a comprehensive seven-course finance curriculum geared to entrepreneurs of early-stage ventures with little to no knowledge of finance. To-date more than 1,000 founders have completed the courses and learned the basics of accounting, financial modeling, valuation, and startup financing.
Victoria is a speaker and an advisor to multiple startups as well as a founder of several ventures in media and entertainment. Previously, Victoria worked for Deutsche Bank and was a technology consultant with CapGemini's Financial Services Division.
Victoria holds a Bachelor's Degree, Cum Laude, in Computer Science, with a minor in Mathematics, from Cornell University and an MBA, with honors, from Columbia Business School. Victoria is also on the Advisory Board of the Computing and Information Science (CIS) Department of Cornell University.